The managers in our client organizations are dealing with the urgent, instead of the important. Our research, in partnership with the Telfer School of Business, has developed a deeper understanding of the effectiveness of managers. It shows that managers in a cross section of various sized organizations report spending only 55% of their time on value-added work. Managing subordinates is a key part of that value-added work.
Almost half of their time is consumed doing work that is not adding value in the way it should and could. We also found that while 98% of managers agree that they are held to account for their work, only 46% believed that they are delegated clear objectives with statements of quantity, quality and timeliness.
This creates a vicious circle where managers – throughout the organization – are not clear about their priorities, but their own managers are not spending the time they must spend on managerial leadership activities to set context for work, to clarify priorities, and to resolve conflicts in cross functional work. These are frustrations shared by organizations ranging from small enterprises to multinational corporations all over the world.
This is a problem for management consultants, as project initiatives risk failure because the managers who must implement change are not doing the managerial work necessary for this change to be successful.
- Participants will be able to identify organizational issues driven by ineffective managerial leadership
- Participants will be able to coach CEOs and executives on the importance of effective managers and why their managers may not be managing effectively.
- This webinar will be conducted in seminar style, with facilitated discussion between participants. This will enhance the learning experience for all.
- Read the white paper, The 5 Requirements of an Effective Manager
- Read the white paper, Are Your Managers Effective?
- List key insights and understandings that you gained from this session about understanding and/or assessing leadership issues in your clients’ managers
- Think about your current clients. What can you do to help your clients understand the importance of mangers being held accountable for doing their managerial leadership work?
About the Instructor:
Dwight Mihalicz helps organizations improve performance. He focuses on manger effectiveness, ensuring that all managers, from the CEO to the front line, are focused on their key strategic priorities and have the accountability and authority required for success.
Dwight has founded and is President of Effective Managers™, a management consulting firm based in Canada, providing services globally. The firm uses the Effective Managers™ Survey to assess manager effectiveness, and The Effective Point of Accountability® to help organizations focus managers on the right work while breaking down silos.
He is also Chair of ICMCI (CMC-Global), of which CMC-Canada is one of its 50 members.
Date: September 25, 2019
Times: 2pm - 4pm EST
Delivery: Online. This webinar will include both presentation from the instructor as well facilitated discussions with the participants. This format will enhance the learning experience for all.
CPD: 2 points
(before Sept 19)
(after Sept 19)
|Student Member Price
This four-part webinar series will be of value to consultants in all stages of their careers. It will introduce them to new ways of using existing skills sets to provide more value to clients. It will also provide knowledge that consultants can use to reinforce their trusted-advisor status with clients by showing how existing skills can be applied to diagnose root-cause issues in more effective ways.
This content has been designed specifically for management consultants. Each session is independent of the others, but taken together the three sessions provide an insight into an effective overall performance improvement methodology.
Other webinars in this series:
For more information on the Effective Managers™ Master Class series, FREE introduction can be accessed on-demand.
September 11 Master Class: Organizational Accountability and Authority
October 30 Master Class: Effective Organizational Performance
On-demand Master Class: Key Insights to Organizational Effectiveness - COMING SOON!