CMC-Canada has developed a number of successful relationships with Canadian academic institutions. These relationships allow these Institutions to deliver the educational requirements for candidates to achieve the designation and allow for the use of the CMC-Canada brand, in association with the relevant offerings in their respective programs. See below for a list of institutions we currently have relationships with.
Benefits for the Academic Institutions:
- Relevance: Connection and direct linkages to a profession that is of interest to a significant proportion of the business student population.
- Program integration: A sufficiently integrated generalist process that makes it possible for business academic programs to bring together all business disciplines.
- Exposure to industry experience: A relationship with the profession through CMC-Canada is typically augmented by industry participation in academic programs – a limited number of scholarships, program advisors, student mentoring, in-class instruction, guest lecturers, etc.
- Worldwide Profile: The CMC designation is the profession’s only international certification mark, recognized in over 40 countries.
Benefits for Student Members:
- Access to the CMC-Canada community, potential speakers, judges, and career mentors.
- Access to an online university community.
- Common Body of Knowledge (CBK) available online for student members.
- Access to student rates to attend professional development events where applicable, job postings, and networking events.
- All or partial fulfillment of the educational requirements to earn the CMC designation.
Why Earn a CMC if you have a MBA?
"When I took my MBA from Queen’s School of Business, my purpose was to expand my knowledge set and gain a universal set of capabilities with which I could evolve my career. Shortly after graduation I started this evolution by switching into a business role, and leveraged this to attain broader responsibilities with more business focused positions. My ultimate career goal, however, was to become a business consultant. This is something my MBA positioned me to do, but I needed more - credentials, experience, and approach. This is why I turned to the CMC. As a universally recognized credential the CMC designation provided me with the instant recognition with colleagues and clients for having the experience and capability to do the job. Further, the Common Body of Knowledge and training courses gave me the tools to be an effective consultant: they gave me a reusable framework that I’ve combined with my Queen’s MBA education and work experience to succeed at consulting. They have also given me broader insights that have made me a better leader. The CMC and MBA together have given me the foundation and confidence to help clients solve complex, strategic problems and to achieve my career goals. They are both necessary components for my future in business consulting."
Kevin Howe-Patterson CMC
Senior Executive Consultant, CGI
Core Requirements of the Program
- CMC-Canada assesses and accredits proposed courses using as a standard, the proprietary courseware that underpins our certification process.
- If CMC-Canada courseware is being used, the instructor must be a CMC and be a CMC-Canada trained facilitator.
- CMC-Canada receives a royalty for the CMC wordmark and the intellectual property (IP) of our course offerings.
- CMC-Canada negotiates and authorizes all agreements with academic institutions.
- Students may choose to become student members of the association.
- Students pursuing the CMC designation must have a minimum of 3 years management consulting experience before attaining the designation.
We have formal agreements with the following:
The Sobey School of Business makes an impact with purpose by engaging our students with active learning and connecting with the business community. Fifty percent of our student body comes from outside Canada, ensuring students benefit from a global perspective. Responsible management, encompassing sustainability and a commitment to ethical practice, is important to us, which is why the Sobey School has signed the UN's Principles of Responsible Management Education (PRME). We are accredited by the AACSB, a distinction held by only 5% of the world's business schools. Through our Bachelor of Commerce and MBA programs, we offer top quality management education. MBA students interested in consulting can take advantage of our longstanding partnership with CMC Canada. We offer elective courses in management consulting and project management, that academically qualify students to pursue the CMC designation. Students also have the opportunity to work hands-on with local businesses in a Masters Consulting Project course, helping clients address challenges and opportunities in real-time.
Royal Roads University - School of Business
At the Royal Roads University School of Business, innovation is our first thought -- never a last resort. We offer leading management education through our MBAs and Bachelor of Commerce degrees. Our Centre for Global and Executive Education supports tomorrow's leaders and decision-makers through innovative executive education, diploma and certificate programs. Manage your education through Internet learning and short residencies.
Royal Roads University and CMC-Canada have developed the MBA in Executive Management with Specialization in Management Consulting. Graduates of the program will have completed the external education requirements towards the Certified Management Consultant (CMC) designation as offered by the Association.
University of Alberta - Alberta School of Business
For students interested in the Management Consulting field the Alberta MBA offers a solid opportunity to get started in the field and move towards a Certified Management Consultant (CMC) designation. By completing the following courses as part of the Alberta MBA, students would be able to satisfy the educational requirements for the CMC designation:
- SMO 500: Managing People
- SMO 636: Management Consulting
- SMO 651: Project Management for Consulting Professionals
- SMO 652: Leadership Skills
In addition to these educational requirements, CMC candidates would also need to satisfy the professional experience requirements laid out by the Canadian Association of Management Consultants (CMC-Canada) and complete a CMC-Canada course on Professional Conduct and Ethics.
University of Waterloo - Conrad Business, Entrepreneurship, and Technology Centre
The University of Waterloo recognizes the value of the CMC designation to the career development of MBET graduates, and offers courses in leadership/interpersonal skills, ethics and best practices, the process of management consulting, and project management to MBET students.
Students who have successfully completed all MBET program course requirements will have been deemed to have completed the education requirements for the Certified Management Consultant designation.
Candidates remain responsible for presenting appropriate evidence of fulfillment of the experience requirements directly to CMC-Canada as part of the CMC application process.
Waterloo is a top-tier Canadian University whose graduates already attract the attention of large consulting firms. This agreement with Waterloo ensures that MBET grads are equipped to step into consulting roles, and once they have obtained the required experience, apply to obtain the CMC designation.
Smith School of Business - Queen's University
The specific focus of this Memorandum of Understanding (MOU) is the educational preparation of students to access the Certified Management Consultant (CMC) certification program within the Queen’s School of Business MBA programs. The programs included in this arrangement are – the full-time Queen’s MBA, Queen’s Executive MBA National Program, Cornell-Queen’s Executive MBA, and Queen’s Accelerated MBA for Business Graduates.
All interested students must sign adherence to CMC-Canada’s Uniform Code of Professional Conduct. Required certification courses include The Essentials of Management Consulting and Professional Conduct and Ethics: Best Practices and Professional Standards. Students may receive exemption from three other required courses — Proficiency in Project Management and Proficiency in Interpersonal and Personal Skills provided the applicant meets equivalency requirements. Student memberships are automatically upgraded to CMC Candidate status the year following graduation.
George Brown College - School of Management
George Brown College's Graduate Certificate in Consulting B414 prepares students to enter the Management Consulting field, or become an internal consultant within an organization, and prepares students for earning the Certified Management Consultant (CMC) designation. By completing the following courses as part of the Consulting Graduate Certificate, students would be able to satisfy the educational requirements for the CMC designation:
- Introduction to Consulting - MGMT 4011
- Project Management - BUS 4017
- Organizational Effectiveness - MGMT 4022
- Strategic Analysis - MGMT 4012
- Marketing Research - MGMT 4013
- Consulting Speaker Series - MGMT 4014
In addition to meeting the educational requirements of the CMC designation, students earn three months of work experience in The Consulting Lab through MGMT4020 Consulting Projects (Field Work), towards the professional experience requirements required by the Canadian Association of Management Consultants (CMC-Canada). Students are also required to successfully complete a CMC-Canada course on Ethical Behaviour.
University of Toronto, Faculty of Applied Science and Engineering (new)
(Details to come...)
Interested in working with us?
We continue to work with other universities and colleges across the country to include management consulting as part of their MBA and continuing educational programs. If you know of/work with an academic institute that would be interested in offering the CMC designation to its students, please contact us at email@example.com to introduce yourself and start the discussion.